1. Mix in a blend of historic events – choose from plagues, invasions, persecutions, boom times and bust, – the good times and bad times
2. Choose a dominant cultural brand experience – art, music, theatre, education, sport – or a mixed fruit cake of experiences if you have them
3. Promote your favourite sons and daughters – saints, martyrs, sinners, writers, painters. academics – if you haven’t got enough borrow talent and claim provenance for the visits of the famous.
4. Throw in some unique religious, political, and commercial architecture that differentiates the visual aesthetic – medieval, gothic, renaissance, baroque, neo-gothic, art nouveau, art deco, modernist and post modernist – so many styles to choose from
5. Popularise your artisans and create basketfuls of ‘nick-knackery’ for the gullible visitors to pay over the odds for; sentimentality on the mantel piece – glass, lace, jewelry, models, clothes, hats, t-shirts, puppets, flags etc.
6. Provide a canvas for international mega-brands for emotional security and milk aspiration when the punters are particularly vulnerable – Dior, Hermes Burberry, Cartier, Alfred Dunhill etc
Mix together to create your own blend and serve up for middleclass weekend breakers to skim quickly across the surface of national culture, collect a few pics for ‘my pictures’ on the desk top, and a t-shirt for the barbecue.